Jason Logg on station Friendly Forester

The Flamborough Lifeboats

Will and Fanny Kirby Jason Logg

© Simon Robson

Home Services Boats.. Pictures R.N.L.I Links History.. Awards..

"ST. MICHAEL'S PADDINGTON" (O.N. 235) 18711 - 1901

This page was
last updated :

21st June 2005


Site Map



St. Michael's Paddington

Sorry no picture availabe


Total Service Calls: 13±
Lives Saved: 8
People Assisted: Unknown
Vessels Saved: 0
Vessels Assisted:
Took Up Station: 21 Nov 1871
Left Station: 5 Nov 1901


Next Boat Matthew Middlewood
All BoatsAll Boats
Jane Hannah McDonald
Matthew Middlewood

No. 1 Station Boats

Elizabeth Jane Palmer
Jason Logg
Will & Fanny Kirby
Friendly Forester
Howard D
Elizabeth & Albina Whitley
Mary Frederick
The first lifeboat to arrive at Flamborough number two station at South Landing was the "ST. MICHAEL'S PADDINGTON". She was 33 feet long, had an 8 foot 6 inch beam and cost the princely sum of £278. This cost was met by the parishioners of St. Michael's church, Paddington. Their efforts, guided by the vicar, the reverend G. F. Prescott M.A., raised some £640. Their aim was not only to provide a lifeboat, but also a lifeboat station on Flamborough Head.

The lifeboat came to it station in November 1871 and went on sea trials on the 21st and 22nd of that month. The trials were undertaken in a strong wind with a moderate sea running. The crew satisfied themselves that the boat rowed and sailed well. In addition to the crew were the Inspector of Lifeboats, Captain J. R. Ward R.N. and Captain H. Steengraphe, Chief Inspector of the German Lifeboat Society.

The lifeboat's crew of thirteen were made up of a Coxswain, Second Coxswain, bowman and ten oarsmen. Carriages for the boat could not be employed because the beech was uneven and rocky. Additionally between ten and twenty men formed the launching party. It was their job to manhandle the boat from the boathouse, down the slipway, across the beach and into the water. The reverse was carried out recovering the lifeboat.

This class of lifeboat was totally open to the elements. They were constructed from two half inch thicknesses of mahogany. These were laid diagonally and opposing with copper rivets fastening them together. This construction meant the boats were natural self-righters. The boat had come from a design by Mr. James Peake, which was originally built at Woolwich Dockyard under sponsorship from the Government. Under the seats were air cases and in the extremities these were 4 feet long and came up to the gunwales, and coated in cork to prevent damage. A total of eight tubes passed through the deck with self-closing valves. These were designed to unload any excess water the boat might ship. The boat had a 7cwt cast iron keel, which was the main source of ballast. In total the boat weighed 46cwt unloaded, drew 15 inches of water and 18 with crew aboard.

With all these features the boat proved that it could right itself (when tested with a crane) in five seconds. She could entirely free herself of water, with no gear or crew aboard, in fifty five seconds. The boat showed tremendous stability and buoyancy when coming ashore through dumping surf without shipping any water.

In 1879 the lifeboat was renamed to the "GRACE AND LALLY OF BROAD OAK" after a legacy had been donated from a Mr. J. Hargreaves. This saw a period when renaming lifeboats was becoming common place, and there is still some question as to whether the lifeboat was also renamed to "THOMAS AND ISABELLA FIRBANK, KINGSTON UPON HULL". In 1882 the lifeboat was renamed yet again, to the "Matthew MIDDLEWOOD". This was after a donation from Mr. George Middlewood and Miss Middlewood, of Rufforth Hall, York. Mr Middlewood's son had been lost at sea and the gift was in his memory.

This lifeboat stayed on station for thirty years. During this period the boat is reported to have launched on service thirteen times, although only three services were recorded on the service boards. Eventually the old "Matthew MIDDLEWOOD" was replaced in 1901 by the new "Matthew MIDDLEWOOD".


Notable Services

23rd December 1880 

- To the brig "TARTAR" of Salcombe (ran aground), saved 8.

Back Back Compass

Designed by Simon Robson ©1998-2007
Helmsman - Flamborough Lifeboat Station