Jason Logg on station Friendly Forester

The Flamborough Lifeboats

Will and Fanny Kirby Jason Logg

© Simon Robson

Home Services Boats.. Pictures R.N.L.I Links History.. Awards..

"FRIENDLY FORESTER" (O.N. 915) 1953 - 1983

This page was
last updated :

16th April 2005


Site Map


Bronze Medal
22nd September 1971

Friendly Forester

Friendly Forester arrives - 1953


Total Service Calls: 161
Lives Saved: 117
People Assisted: 30±
Vessels Saved: 14
Vessels Assisted: 146±
Entered Service: Jun 1953
Retired: Jan 1983


Next Boat Will & Fanny Kirby
Howard DPrevious Boat
All Boats
Elizabeth Jane Palmer
Jason Logg
Elizabeth & Albina Whitley
Mary Frederick

No. 2 Station Boats

Jane Hannah Macdonald Matthew Middlewood
St. Michael's Paddington
In June 1953 Coxswain Richard Cowling and four crewmembers travelled to the Isle of Wight to take command of Flamborough's new lifeboat. This boat had been especially built at the Cowes boat yard of Groves and Guttridge for the Flamborough station. Whilst on passage the lifeboat took part in a Coronation Review at Spithead along with lifeboats from Campbeltown, Margate and Ramsgate.

The new lifeboat was not officially named until 8th September 1953 at North Landing. Flamborough Branch Chairman, Alderman A. R. Burton, conducted the ceremony. The District Inspector, Commander H. L. Wheeler gave a description of the boat. The High Chief Ranger of the Ancient Order of Foresters, Mr. W. N. J. Higgins presented the boat to a vice president of the Institution, Captain Guy D. Fanshaw R.N. The boat was accepted and handed into the care of the Flamborough station, being accepted by Honorary Secretary Mr. J. W. Bayes, M.B.E. The Countess of Halifax then named her the "FRIENDLY FORESTER". The service of dedication was led by the Reverend G. Coates and Reverends H. Greenwood and J. R. Ridley assisted him. The weather was perfect and several thousand friends, family and visitors attended. The lifeboat then launched on exercise to loud applause and cheering.

The lifeboat cost £15,738 and had been met by the Ancient Order of Foresters Friendly Society in celebration of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. They requested the boat be named "FRIENDLY FORESTER" and that she carry the bow and arrow emblem on her bows. The emblem represents the bow of benevolence and the speeding arrow of assistance. Over one thousand society members attended and met the crew.

"FRIENDLY FORESTER" was a twin screw Liverpool class lifeboat, but the first on station not to have sails as a reserve means of propulsion. The Liverpool class was still not a natural self-righting boat, but her beam had been increased to provide a range stability to 109 degrees before capsize. The hull was constructed of two 'skins' of Honduras mahogany, diagonally laid and separated by a layer of calico. The outer skin was 3/8 inch thick with the inner being ¼ inch thick. She was 35 feet 6 inches long and 10 feet 8 inches in beam. The boat displaced 8.56 tons in service condition with an iron keel weighing 1.02 tons, in addition the boat took on ½ ton of water ballast. The hull was divided into 6 watertight compartments, which contained 162 air cases. Power was provided by twin Ferry Engine Company, 3 cylinder F.K.R.3 petrol engines giving 20 b.h.p. at 1600 r.p.m. The engines were cooled by fresh water, with heat exchangers being placed low down in the boat and cooled by induction of sea water. Wheel steering gear was standard, but an emergency tiller could be rigged if this became damaged. The rudder was mounted on a sternpost, which allowed it to raised whilst launching and lowered when at sea.

Due to the varying types of rescue required the boats now carried a far bigger range of equipment. Some of the items listed were: an echo sounder for recording depth of water under the keel, a Schermuly rock line for passing lines to a casualty, and breeches buoy equipment for transferring casualties to the lifeboat. Additionally a Redifon UHF radio telephone and a Coastal Curlew MF radio telephone were fitted for communication with other vessels and the Coastguard. An Aldis signalling lamp was carried in case radio communications failed. For searching, a powerful electric searchlight was fitted and 15 white parachute flares. Other hand flares were carried and used to signal to launching crew whether the boat intended to beach bow or stern first. These were two green, two green turning white, four red and four white. For use by the crew and survivors provisions were carried, which included the self-heating tins of soup and cocoa.

In 1970 the "FRIENDLY FORESTER" was sent to Amble in Northumberland for a re-fit. During this, her engines were replaced with twin remotely controlled 32 b.h.p. Perkins 4107 diesels. These were coupled to Thames Marine Products gearboxes. The new engines provide more power but no significant increase in speed. They did provided a reduction in fuel consumption to 2.6 gallons per hour at full speed. It was only a year later that a bronze medal was won for the rescue of two men and a dog from under the cliffs at Bempton.

Towards the end of 1982 the Liverpool class lifeboat were coming to the end of their natural life. This also applied to the Flamborough boat. A coastal review committee were due to make a decision on the stations fate and this led to speculation that the station maybe closed or down graded to an inshore boat. This time the village rose and presented a strong case for the retention of an all weather lifeboat, and furthermore raised substantial funds towards a replacement. This seemed to sway the judgement and Flamborough received the "WILL AND FANNY KIRBY" on 5th January 1983. The "FRIENDLY FORESTER" was sold out of service to a maritime museum in Blackgang on the Isle of Wight, where she remains today.

Notable Services

27th August 1978 

- To the fishing coble "SINCERITY" (fouled prop), saved 3 and vessel.

9th September 1976 

- To the cabin cruiser "LIV" (on fire), saved 6 and vessel.

18th March 1973 

- To the fishing vessel "STORM VOGAL" (sinking), saved 5 and vessel.

15th October 1972 

- To the pleasure boat "YOUNG TOM" of Bridlington (engine failure), saved 32 and vessel.

22nd September 1971 

- To two men and a dog trapped under cliff, saved 2 and a dog.

29th August 1971 

- To a motor boat, saved 3 and vessel.

2nd September 1967 

- To people cut off by the tide, saved 6.

15th November 1964 

- To two skin divers, saved 2.

23th August 1959 

- To the steam trawler "STAXTON WYKE" of Hull (ran aground), saved 16.

7th December 1958 

- To the fishing cobles "MARGARET ANN and EDITH" of Bridlignton (collision), saved 8 and vessels.

29th October 1958 

- To the keel boat "OUR CONFIDENCE" of Bridlington (sinking), saved 4 and vessel.

Back Back Compass

Designed by Simon Robson ©1998-2007
Helmsman - Flamborough Lifeboat Station